The bible often makes reference to spiritual traps or snares. These devices usually rely on bait that is irresistible to the wild game being pursued. Life has an abundant number of spiritual, emotional and physical snares that woo people into believing they are needed stress reducers or a source of comfort. Like the trappers snare, what looks to be a benefit will be the very thing that imprisons and tortures its victim. Far too many people are living with addictions, crushing shame and broken pasts that make living in the present impossible. Below are several options that will provide you with the needed tools and support to break free.
CR is designed to help you get to the root of your issues using the strength of Jesus’ teaching and the loving support of an understanding community. CR is in session every Monday evening, 52 weeks a year at Grace McKean. Everyone is welcome and you can come at any time.
Christian Counseling Associates
If you are seeking clinical therapy for emotional hurts, habits or hang-ups, begin the process by remembering this important truth: The core of your recovery is your faith in Jesus Christ. Christian counseling engages a faith-based process of change to support you in overcoming the challenges that you face.
Christian Counseling, in a basic sense, acknowledges that a person’s faith plays a vital role in the healing of emotional or behavioral problems. Therefore, this type of counseling intentionally seeks to make faith a significant part of the “treatment” process. In whatever problem is faced, Christian Counseling acknowledges that Jesus Christ can powerfully work in our lives to bring about healing and relief from addictions or emotional struggles.
Perhaps you would feel most at ease by talking with one of our site pastors. They can assist you in taking important next steps.
Grace McKean: Pastor Brian Lusky
Grace Harborcreek: Pastor John Tiernan
Grace Girard: Pastor Malcolm Beall
You can also reach out to our staff lead over Care & Support: Pastor Mike Watson
- Addiction and Grace: Love and Spirituality in the Healing of Addictions by Dr.Gerald G. May
- The Heart of Addiction: A Biblical Perspective by Mark E. Shaw
- Save Me From Myself: How I Found God, Quit Korn, Kicked Drugs and Lived to Tell My Story by Brian "Head" Welch
- Loving The Addict, Hating The Addiction: For Christian families coping with drug addiction by Kecia C Sims
- Sober Mercies: How Love Caught Up with a Christian Drunk by Heather Harpham Kopp
- Life's Healing Choices: Freedom from Your Hurts, Hang-ups, and Habits by John F. Baker (founder of Celebrate Recovery)
Books for parents with children suffering through addiction
- Clean: Overcoming Addiction and Ending America's Greatest Tragedy by David Sheff
- Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction by David Sheff
- Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines by Nic Sheff
Web Support: Christian alcohol and drug addiction treatment web sites can be very helpful for Christians who need information about addiction treatments and support groups. There are a number of web sites that can be accessed, most of which take a low pressure, but firm approach to providing addiction and scripture information.